a collaborative blog for friends who love food.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

ode to red velvet cake


The first time I tried red velvet cake was at a Thanksgiving family dinner. It wasn't very memorable nor was really red in color. The taste was fine, but nothing that blew me away.

Since I moved to DC (and thanks to Ms. Anna Almendrala) I have learned to appreciate the beauty of the red velvet. It's most popular in the south and people are fiercely protective of family recipes. The cocoa-based cake ranges in color from dark reddish brown to candy apple red, thanks to food coloring. It is typically served in multiple layers topped with a buttercream or cream cheese frosting.

My favorite place to get a red velvet fix in DC is, where else, but Red Velvet, a tiny cupcake retailer near Chinatown.

4 comments:

  1. there's something really seductive about red velvet cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am repulsed by red velvet cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AA- remember your red velvet monstrosity of a birthday cake? that sucker fed us for a week straight.

    ReplyDelete